Thursday, November 25, 2010

November Adventure in New York

Found this room for an overnight on Airbnb.com.  For $63 it was convenient and a 30 minute walk or short subway ride to mid-town.  What a nice surprise to find this dresser top alter to a variety gods and goddesses in my room.
 The view as I walked across the Queenboro Bridge into Manhattan.
The reason for my visit to NY was to see my zen teacher (who was visiting from S.F.) and to take a Sumi-painting workshop at the Japan Society for New Zealand artist Max Gimblett.  There was an amazing exhibition of Zen Master Hakuin's paintings and calligraphy on display.  I particularly was taken by this Oni Zazen.  Wish I'd taken a photo of Max.  He is giving the workshop again in Dec and Jan. I highly recommend it.  It was such a fun time!

Had dinner at Counter on 1st Avenue.  A vegetarian place I'd read a review for.  I hung out at the window seat in the early evening.  Finally "landing" after the drive north in the morning and the high energy workshop with Max.
Here is one of the many chiwawa's that I saw people walking (or rather pulling along) on First Avenue.  She was apparently fiesty, obviously well dressed and a photohound!
The following day enjoyed walking through the Brooklyn flea which is hosted on Sundays inside a former bank.

No comments: